Q. I keep getting shocks when I touch door handles – should I have anti-static carpet installed or get my electrics tested?
A. Ah ha – a good one. Probably not is the reply. Check the BBC weather website on days when you are getting shocks off of door handles, you will probably find that humidity readings are 40% or lower. When the air is this dry, there is not enough moisture to naturally discharge static you accumulate as would happen naturally when the air is moist (moisture conducts electricity – get it?) If you get a shock when you touch a wired appliance or fitting then, yes – get it checked!