With the news this week that water bills are rising by up to 8.8% in England and Wales from April, with an average rise of 5.7%, we can all take a look at what we can do to reduce our water usage and keep our bills down.
Here are some tips on easy things you can do in the home:
- Fix all drips from all taps in the house – this could save more than 5,500 litres of water in a year
- Turn off taps when not using them – especially when you are doing things like brushing your teeth, as a running tap wastes over 6 litres of water a minute!
- Fit a water efficient shower head
- Install a dual flush toilet
- Put a ‘Hippo’ in your loo!
- Install water butts in your garden and use watering cans – see our simple DIY project on installing a water butt
Look into whether having a water meter fitted would be better for you – it doesn’t cost you anything to have one installed. If you have more bedrooms than people in you home, you may well be better off with a meter.
You could also look into installing a grey water recycling system to enable you to re-use waste water from baths, sinks and washing machines, to flush toilets and water the garden.
Check out our project on saving water for more advice.
We Love Comments
What do you think about the above post? Let us know by leaving your comments below.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
See our Other Great Content