Combi or Combination boilers are becoming the most Popular Boilers in the UK, because they are relatively cheap to buy and install, but mostly because they are compact. As you can appreciate the space-saving feature is a very positive factor in our modern lives.
To get some industry insight into just how popular combination boilers are we approached the Heating and Hotwater Industry Council (HHIC). Their External Affairs Manager Isaac Occhipinti told us:
“Currently 77% of all boilers sold are combi boilers, and this reflects an on-going trend. Our estimates are that 50% of the boiler stock is now combi boilers, and the trend shows no signs of slowing down.” Isaac Occhipinti, HHIC
There are a few different types of combi gas boiler to choose from, but they all work in roughly the same way. They take mains supply water and heat it on demand. This means you only heat the water when someone in the home turns on the hot tap, and so you no longer need to fit a hot water storage tank.
Combi Boiler Benefits
- Thermostat controls provide protection from sudden changes of water temperature. Good news if you are having a shower and someone else turns on a tap).
- Less space for installation, (leaving more storage space for other stuff).
- Nearly always the most energy efficient.
- Hot water on demand, a limitless supply no matter how many kids need bathing.
- One simple compact unit
- No hot water storage unit or cold water storage unit.
- Water pressure – the taps and shower will be the same pressure as the mains.
- Less pipe work to install – Quicker (cheaper) installation.
- Parts are readily available
- Common types of boilers are easier (cheaper) for heating engineers to work on.
Combi Boiler Cons
You do however need sufficient mains pressure to have a combination boiler installed, and if the system malfunctions you don’t have an alternative method of heating hot water – read more in our Combi Boiler Project on DIY Doctor’s main website.
We Love Comments
What do you think about the above post? Let us know by leaving your comments below.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
See our Other Great Content