1 Light with 3 switches
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nickhutt
Labourer
Labourer

1 Light with 3 switches

by nickhutt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Is there a diagram that tells me how to wire one light to three switches, or could someone make me one please? I want to have a bedroom light with the normal switch by the door, and then a switch either side of the bed. I need each switch to turn the light on and off, regardless of the position of the other two switches. Thanks!

nickhutt
Labourer
Labourer

Re: 1 Light with 4 switches!

by nickhutt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:07 pm

I've just realized that I will have four switches operating one light - help please?!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 1 Light with 3 switches

by stoneyboy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:09 pm

nickhutt,
You need to use standard 2-way switches at the ends of the circuit and then intermediate switches for the other two.
end

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:23 pm

I have a digram here google="ericmark.talktalk.net/pictures/two-way-plus-inter.bmp" but normally when we try to post on here the sysops remove the link so does not help. I wrote a web page many years ago it's still there at google="ericmark.talktalk.net/twoway.html" but again normally the sysops remove the links.

So all I can suggest is try another forum when pictures are permitted.

One of the switches has to be an intermediate switch. You can use an intermediate as a two way but can't use a two way as an intermediate the same applies you can use a two way as an on/off switch but can't use an on/off switch as a two way.

Lets see if the sysop allows the picture?

nickhutt
Labourer
Labourer

by nickhutt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks a lot. I hadn't some accross intermediate switches before. Just the job!

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:46 am

Greetings!!

Just to let you know, image posting has been enabled in the forum as of the most recent forum software update.

When creating a topic or replying to a post, below the text input box you will see a tab entitled "upload image".

Click this tab and follow the instructions to add images!!

Kind Regards

The Doctor

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:49 am

I tried to upload as described only to get report "The extension bmp is not allowed". Although I could of course change the formats as a quick reply to have to open up the image in Photoshop and re-save in another formal is not something I will do in a hurry. I can understand that DNG all other RAW or 16 bit formats may not be allowed maybe including tiff but the standard Jpeg, Gif, and bmp one would expect to be able to upload.

Since it does not say what is allowed I am not wasting my time trying.
It does say to right of page img is on and url is on yet it seems this is not the case.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi

Point taken on the allowed formats, I will add details as soon as possible.

As for the bmp extension, I wouldn't say that it is a widely used format in terms of web due to their file size (normally quite large file sizes and this is no good expecially in web based software due to the performance and page load effects) jpeg, gif and png are pretty much the standards in terms web (and optimal download) now as they can be compressed a great deal without too much loss in quality

Kind Regards

The Doctor

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:22 pm