10 Year old Potterton Suprima not Holding Pressure in Pressure Tank
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

lkr2003
Labourer
Labourer

10 Year old Potterton Suprima not Holding Pressure in Pressure Tank

by lkr2003 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:15 am

Our boiler is 10yrs old. In July we noticed a lot of noise coming from below the airing cupboard. We were due a British Gas service anyway so booked a visit. Everything serviced and was told the noise from the airing cupboard was due to the pressure tank being at zero and to make sure the dial sat at 1bar. Within days the gauge was at zero again.

Despite a new gauge in case of a fault, being pumped manually by a foot pump, and having the system filled with a gel to seal any 'potential' leak, we are still none the wiser. British Gas went on to refer the case to Dynorod for trace and investigation as they suspected a leak.

We have no visible water leaks on any ceiling, so the leak can't be in the upstairs of the house. The downstairs floors are either carpeted, tiled or wooden floored. No visual signs of water.

Dynorod have been out twice this week with equipment, that should detect leaks. On both occasions nothing have been located. Dynorod have now referred the case back to British Gas.

I am due to have 3 British Gas staff round tomorrow, one being a regional manager. I have absolutely no idea what they will suggest. There was talk a few weeks back with an engineer that it could result in quite some upheaval resulting in new piping etc. Not ideal having piping visible in a house, or having piping boxed in to hide ghastly pipework. Im reluctant to have vast work carried out on the basis there 'may' be a leak. The equipment used to find a leak would presumably have found an escape of water, especially bearing in mind we are topping up the water a lot in the day to keep the system working.

Anyone with any advice or experience that may be able to shed some light on this. I feel I need to be fully armed ready for tomorrow.

It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:36 am