100 year old house solid walls lots of damp PLEASE HELP
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

kaz
Labourer
Labourer

100 year old house solid walls lots of damp PLEASE HELP

by kaz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:14 pm

The outside is about to be painted and sealed so that will help stop penetrating damp. Have damp near wood burner also damp on inside walls. Usually appearing in the middle off the wall but some at bottom of walls. At some point someone has used polifiller to fill in where the walls have crumpled, whille other parts have been left to crumble!!!!! What do i do!!???!!!

The outside now painted, i dug all soil away from the walls and then used bitcheimin paint on the lower walls right to the floor(after filing holes/gapes with stone and cement). Was this the right thing to do?? Will the damp on the inside start to dry???

A lot of the damp has dried out. The damp by the wood burner has gone as i now leavethe door open to stop condensation building in the chimmney. Other walls have dried out now there is heat and ventilation regulary.

I have noticed there are no ventillation bricks in most of the house. Should i get some?? The walls are solid as were built about 100 years ago!!! So full of salt etc. Things near some of the outside walls still feel damp should i clear a space to allow the heat to get there and will i ever be able to put anything against the walls again?? ANY ADVICE GRATEFULLY RECIEVED!! mANY THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP.

It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:54 pm