12v/50w halogen bulbs in bathroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hedley
Labourer
Labourer

12v/50w halogen bulbs in bathroom

Post by hedley » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:04 pm

A couple of 12v/50w halogen bulbs have blown in my ceiling lights and I have replaced them with brand new halogen bulbs of the same type. When I switch the lights on one bulb does not come on and the other one comes on but only stays lit for a couple of second then go out! The other working bulbs are unaffected. What is going wrong here please?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:49 pm

Hi hedley,
sounds like you have a loose connection you need to check above the lamps and make sure all cables are correctly terminated no damage and screwed in tight.
Regards, be safe and isolate circuit before carrying out any work.
KB

hig64
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hig64 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:01 pm

Hi there,
It seems as if your light fitting has a problem, and it made need replaceing! Be Safe!

hedley
Labourer
Labourer

Post by hedley » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:21 pm

Thank you "hig 64" and "kbrownie" for such prompt and informative replies. I think I had better get a sparky in !!! ( I know my diy limitations) Will report outcome on the site for info of others who may experience a similar problem.

TCSC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TCSC » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:27 pm

It does sound like the sockets have a poor connection. I had the same problem with my shower light. When I had a look I was amazed at the cheap nature of the socket.

It is not a particularly hazardous job to do from the voltage point of view, being only 12V so you needent worry about a shock problem. The mains supply will be to a transformer a few feet away in the loft or similar. The lights do give off quite a bit of heat in a small space so you would need to aware of the ramifications of that.

However it can be a very frustrating and irritating job to do, because you have to figure out how to take the unit apart in the first place. They are designed to be very neat and tidy and hide all screws and mounting bits.

Much respect for knowing your limitations. I have just found this site and I'm a bit gob-smacked at the jobs that inexperienced and clearly unknowledgable people appear to be trying to undertake.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:02 am