13amp wall socket dead
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lennich
Apprentice
Apprentice

13amp wall socket dead

by lennich » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:03 pm

In my kitchen I have a double 13amp switched socket above a worksurface. It appears to have been installed after the rest of the house's sockets. Last night I had a mini halogen oven plugged into it. This cycles on and off to set a temperature. I was not in the kitchen when I heard a bang (not sure where it came from) and when I investigated I found that the socket (both parts) was dead. There is no fuse externally accessible on the socket and there doesn't appear to be one internally either.

Thing is, none of the house fuses in the fuse box have blown so I'm puzzled as to how to fix the problem. Can a socket (both parts) actually break?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:48 am

Is there no power to socket or is it the plug top fuse that has blown, check this be using another appliance on the socket and also by pluging the mini oven in at a known supply, do all the other sockets work on the circuit, is this socket on a fused connection unit as that fuse may have blown, you heard a bang so something has blown!
KB
Last edited by kbrownie on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lennich
Apprentice
Apprentice

by lennich » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:02 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]Is there no power to socket or is it the plug top fuse that has blown, do all the other sockets work on the circuit, is this socket on a fused connection unit as that fuse may have blown, you heard a bang so something has blown!
KB[/quote]

There's no power to the socket on either of the outlets.

I don't know what circuit the socket is on as everything else seems to be working. As I said it looks like a more recent socket than the ones at floor level.

By "fused connection unit" do you mean something near the socket? The power cable to the socket disappears down behind the kitchen units so I can't see anything.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:58 am

By Fused connection unit (FCU) something like this:
google "tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/White_BG_Index/Spurs_13_Amp_Un_Switched_3/index.html
"
Isolate the circuit and check that all the conductors are connected correctly in the socket-outlet, it sounds like you have a spur. A cable maybe loose inside preventing power, also the socket outlet powering the spur may have the loose connection. So it's normally nearest/suitable outlet check that too or again go looking for a FCU and check that has not blown.
Have you got mcbs or fuse holders in the consumer unit if fuse holders are they rewirable(fuse wire across terminals) or cartridge ones(fuse much like you see in a plug top)

lennich
Apprentice
Apprentice

by lennich » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:43 am

Fuse holders, alas. They're the rewirable type. All seem intact.

Cable to the back of the socket is not loose. Any other investigation would mean a dismantling of kitchen units which I am reluctant to do.

Where is a FCU likely to be sited and what does one look like?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:44 am

FCU Looks like blank plate with a fuse holder in it, likely to be off nearest socket in that circuit sometimes placed next to socket feeding or socket suppyling power from/to.
google Fused Connection Unit or go to tlc direct website and links and search for FCU or Fused Connection Units

Check all socket outlets nearest the problem socket for loose connections.
Do you know if the circuit is a ring final (will/should have two red core cables terminated at the fuse) or a radial (will/should have just one)

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:09 am

if non of the above check out try changing the faceplate, it may have failed. Even better, use a suitable tester to see if there is power coming in to the socket.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:17 pm