140mm distance between taps, help please!!

Postby C3P0 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:42 pm

Hi there, I'm in the very slow process of doing my bathroom, I want to install a shower mixer tap, but the gap between my current taps is only 140mm not the standard 150..... I was wondering if it is possible to cut my bath to make one of the holes slightly bigger? it is and old 50's steel enamel bath, i'm at a bit of a loss and cant finish my bathroom untill this is resolved.
thanks
C3P0
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby bobplum » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:19 pm

hi i would make each hole 5mm bigger,using a dremmel type machine or a fein multi master(excellent machines) and grind out the steel then buy a enammeling kit to repair any damage if when you place the mixer taps over the hole
bobplum
Progress to next rank:
54.7%

Postby richieplum » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:35 pm

Why don't you seek out a bath filler with a unionated connection so that the distance between tap-holes becomes irrelevant. These are usually by the better manufacturers so there may be a slight premium to be paid, but will save a lot of of heartache when you have to figure out how to repair the enamelling.
richieplum
Progress to next rank:
78.9%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!