All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jeff Worsnop
Labourer
Labourer

15mm copper pipe joint to very slightly larger diameter pipe

by Jeff Worsnop » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Help/advice please.
Trying to replace a length of copper pipe feed to utility room tap. 15mm and 15mm to 1/2inch connectors do not fit the old pipe which I measure has an external measurement of 5/8inch or 17mm.
I would be grateful for ideas where to source a suitable fitting either compression or soldered.
Thanks
Jeff

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:30 pm

It'll be 16mm OD - a normal 15mm compression connector should work, or buy a imperial to metric connector.

htg

Jeff Worsnop
Labourer
Labourer

by Jeff Worsnop » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:43 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]It'll be 16mm OD - a normal 15mm compression connector should work, or buy a imperial to metric connector.

htg[/quote]
Thanks for reply but unfortunately not.
Compression cap and olive will not fit. Effected temp repair by filing the end of the pipe and hammered a stop end with built in solder over it. No solder came out of the joint and there is a small amount of water weeping out so will have to be redone when I can come up with a solution. Feel like wacking in a piece of plastic and filling in the end with solder! But I guess there must be a more elegant way to do the job.
Cheers
Jeff

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:31 am

If you can't trace the pipe back and replace the entire length of it then try googling "5/8 compression fittings" looks like there's a few options there.

Jeff Worsnop
Labourer
Labourer

by Jeff Worsnop » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:39 pm

[quote="acsimpson"]If you can't trace the pipe back and replace the entire length of it then try googling "5/8 compression fittings" looks like there's a few options there.[/quote]

Thanks. Googled accordingly.
Couldn't see end stops. Plenty of couplings but not what I need.
Cheers
Jeff

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:47 pm

Leaving a dead leg or unused piece of pipe in the system is generally thought of as a bad idea, however if that's what you have decided to do in your own house no one will stop you.

You could try combining an imperial reducing coupler with a 10mm blanking plate as follows.

"coleparmer.co.uk/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=3141257"
and
"toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Compression/Compression+Nut+10mm/d20/sd2697/p15820"

Not the cheapest solution but easier to undo in the future than soldering it closed.

Jeff Worsnop
Labourer
Labourer

by Jeff Worsnop » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:17 pm

[quote="acsimpson"]Leaving a dead leg or unused piece of pipe in the system is generally thought of as a bad idea, however if that's what you have decided to do in your own house no one will stop you.

The pipe supplied a defunct utility room via the garage. I still need it to supply an outside tap and 2 garden watering units from the garage. I would be delighted to run the tap from the end of the pipe but that would seem a more difficult proposition than simply (ha ha) putting an end stop on it. I am only trying to make the best of a bad job without too much disruption and expense. Of course I could get someone to replumb from the pipe that supplies the central heating boiler in the garage but all I asked was what I thought was a simple question. The phrase ""if that's what you have decided to do in your own house no one will stop you", is a rather strange conclusion to reach badly expressed.
Anyhow thanks for your advice for which I am grateful.
End of thread methinks.
Cheers
Jeff

Harson
Labourer
Labourer

Re: 15mm copper pipe joint to very slightly larger diameter

by Harson » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Bending machines are available to suit the full range of copper pipe from 6 to 54 mm external diameter - they are considered essential for pipes over 22 mm - thankfully most diy'ers will seldom need to work with these larger sizes.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:36 am