2 cables, one light, no ability
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
grant1
Labourer
Labourer

2 cables, one light, no ability

by grant1 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:47 am

:oops: hi Doc, I'm new to this site. I have an unhappy wife who is asleep at moment..Problem started yesterday when I tried to change the ceiling pendant for a new one.You guessed it, the darn thing is not working! This morning found me on your site looking for help--BIG TIME, before my wife wakes up. I need my Sunday dinner, so I must get the thing working to deserve it. Have looked at your diagram but I only have 2 inlet cables. Both are black, one has a Red band.Should this be wired same as your diagram. I'm sat here in the partial dark and feeling pretty damn stupid.Make me well again Doc. Grant1

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi grant1,
If that is all the cables you have and that is what you dissconected orginally.
Sounds like You have neutral (black) and Switch wire (Black with red tag) Which will supply your live from swicth.
Connect Neutral (black) to light fitting terminal blue and Switch (red Tag) to the brown.
make sure everything is safely isolated before you carry out work.
Good luck
KB

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi Grant,
something wrong here!
don't make cable with 2 blks, with or without red band!
I think you have 2 cables each with a red & a black, but the 2 reds are joined in a connector maybe pushed up into ceiling void.
what you are seeing is the blk Neutral which goes to blue flex of pendant,
plus switched live [blk/red band] which goes in with brown of pendant flex, regards SPARX

grant1
Labourer
Labourer

by grant1 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 am

:D Let there be light, and thanks to you all, there is! This site is now in my favourites file. Thanks.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:01 pm