2 Gang 2 Way Lights and Adding Additional Light of Ceiling Rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
peng
Labourer
Labourer

2 Gang 2 Way Lights and Adding Additional Light of Ceiling Rose

by peng » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi everyone
Im in the process of fitting some new downlights in my hall and am after advice.
I currently have 2 lights downstairs and 1 up stairs. The swith downstairs will turn on either both the ds lights ir the other switch will turn on us light.
Im looking to add an extra lights downstairs to come on with just the downstairs lights. I have attached pics of the first light rose and then the second rose.
Could someone advise ne on the best way to connect anotjer light off of the 2nd rose please.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 2 Gang 2 Way Lights and Adding Additional Light of Ceiling Rose

by ericmark » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:42 pm

There is a major problem with this forum once posted you have to wait ages to read through what you have posted. It seems you have no pictures and the typo errors mean hard to understand what you are saying.

So just a few pointers. Two way switches as they are called should have three wires plus an earth between the two switches. However there is a method where with twin switches one can "borrow" a line from the other switch and reduce the cable to two wires plus earth.

However this has two major problems, the first is radio interference, the second is the two switches MUST be from the same protection device. Over the years we have scene the raise and fall of the silly 2" spot light, and these were very power hungry. As a result it was common to split the upper and lower floor lighting circuits. This can cause real problems with two way lighting on the stairs.

Before the days of the RCD and RCBO although dangerous and against the rules borrowing neutrals with two way lighting was common. They did not always realise it was a borrowed neutral they thought they had just borrowed a line, but technically they had borrowed a neutral.

As we started to fit RCD and RCBO protection these faults raised their ugly heads and caused no end of problems trying to correct them. Lucky today you can get RF switches, does mean swapping a battery every so often but does mean you can correct the borrowed neutral fault without fitting new cables.

The two way system goes switch to switch and does not normally effect how the rose is wired. The rose has four connections the earth of course and then normally a strip of connectors split 2, 3, 3, which are switched line, permanent line, neutral. The big problem is often the switched line uses a black wire (or blue with new colours) there should be a red (brown) sleeve to identify it as line, but it is often missing. If you get this wire mixed up with the neutrals it is really hard to identify it after.

I may have answered your question, but even if not, it may help you when correction the typo errors.

peng
Labourer
Labourer

by peng » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi everyone
Could someone please help with my light wiring.
I have 2 lights in my downstairs hall and 1 light upstairs.
The 2 downstairs and 1 upstairs lights both work on seperate switches of a 2 gang downstairs. Upstairs switch only switches the upstairs light and bathroom light on 2 gang switch.
My question is i want to change my downstairs lights from 2 roses to 3 spotlights. I have uploaded a picture of the second rose from the switch which i aim to connect up a 3rd light from.
Could someone tell me the easiest/best way to wire the new light from the existing rose please?
The wires will be connected to the second of the attached pics rose.
Attachments
20160421_201013-480x853.jpg
20160420_191726-1-640x637.jpg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:36 pm

Hager Ashley J501 16a 4 way downlight junction box
Part Number: HAGJ501

Hager Ashley J501 16amp 250volt lighting junction box, Screw Terminal, ideal for downlights, Should only be used in scenarios where the Junction box can be accessed.

These will allow you to remove the ceiling rose. Just google the part number. You have 4 connections at the ceiling rose, and you need to reduce to three you don't need the permanent live.

Ceiling rose one be careful not to lose the brown sleeve on the black wire, that wire is switched line not neutral don't get it mixed up.

Second ceiling rose seems to have the pendent wired wrong way around. The blue seems to be line. But main point again the reds in the centre connect together in the junction box but do not go to new lamps. The outer wires only go to new lamps. Plus earth if required.

The switches do not need touching.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:36 am