2 questions: 6 mil cable & economy seven
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
heathcote123
Apprentice
Apprentice

2 questions: 6 mil cable & economy seven

by heathcote123 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:36 pm

I'm considering replacing an old thermal storage unit with an eemax series 2 in-line water heater.
This uses 2 * 40 amps, so i think I'm right in saying requires 6 mil mains cable. (recently bought some of this for a cooker)

I've pulled off one of the electric sockets to check the wire, and it's single core, but although the grey sheath seems about the same size as the multi core stuff I got for the cooker, the actual amount of copper seems quite a bit smaller.

I just tried to take a pic, but my phones really not up to getting the detail. Should I assume if it looks smaller, then it is a lower guage and needs replacing?

Next question is this:

The thermal store had two elements, one for economy seven, and one for daytime use, which are on seperate fuse boxes.

The new system would need both in use at any time.

If I plug something into the economy seven one, will it only work at night? - i.e is it timed by the electrical supplier, or by the item using it?

If the former, is it an easy job to move it to the other circuit? (probably not something I'd attempt myself, but more as an idea for how much I'd get charged for it)

Thanks in advance for any info

Richard

tonnee
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tonnee » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi Richard,

Cant coment on the your wireing issue

But the economy 7 tarrif normally starts at midnight and ends at 7:00 am (hence economy 7) however the appliance will need its own timer to switch on during these periods to use the cheaper tariff.

Rgds

Tony

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:38 am