4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Barry Bunsen
Ganger
Ganger

2 thermostatic shower problems

by Barry Bunsen » Wed May 07, 2008 9:09 am

Hi all
A friend wants a thermostatic shower fitted and Ive noticed 2 problems
Firstly he would like it connected to hot and cold chrome pipes running externally inside the bathroom rather than coming through the wall behind the mixer. Most of the fittings for these showers Ive seen require the pipes coming in from behind. Is it possible to install it internally in this way?
Secondly in spite of having a combi - admittedly ageing - the hot flow rate from all taps is below the cold flow rate. I assume the heat exchanger or similar may be furred up inside the combi. Would a thermostatic shower be able to override the flow rate differences?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 2 thermostatic shower problems

by rosebery » Wed May 07, 2008 12:10 pm

[quote="Barry Bunsen"]Hi all
A friend wants a thermostatic shower fitted and Ive noticed 2 problems
Firstly he would like it connected to hot and cold chrome pipes running externally inside the bathroom rather than coming through the wall behind the mixer. Most of the fittings for these showers Ive seen require the pipes coming in from behind. Is it possible to install it internally in this way?"

Yes - you just need a surface mounted valve with appropriate fittings that's all.

"Secondly in spite of having a combi - admittedly ageing - the hot flow rate from all taps is below the cold flow rate. I assume the heat exchanger or similar may be furred up inside the combi. Would a thermostatic shower be able to override the flow rate differences?
Any thoughts would be appreciated."

No. IMHO you won't solve the other problem by trying to get the shower to address it in any case. It needs considering separately.

Htg Engineer will be along shortly to advise you on the boiler situation.

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed May 07, 2008 8:09 pm

If the hot water flow rate is poor, then you will never have a satisfactory shower. This problem should be sorted first to avoid disappointment plus decent thermostatic showers aren't cheap so I don't think they'd be too happy if it wasn't up to much.

The flow rate problem could be something as simple as a block filter in the cold inlet, some boiler have water softeners fitted to the cold supply, this may need changing or servicing. Most boiler have a 'throttle' this controls the flow of water through the boiler.

At worst it'll be a furred up plate heat-exchanger, you can get solution to dissolve the limescale but never 100% effective, depending on how bad it is it might not work at all or may take a few attempts. If it is the heat-exchanger the easiest way to remedy the poor flow is to renew the heat-ex.

What's the make and model of the boiler ?

Hope this helps

Barry Bunsen
Ganger
Ganger

by Barry Bunsen » Wed May 07, 2008 10:03 pm

Thanks for the comments gents
Ive seen the surface mounted valves on the internet and they seem fine.
The combi is an elderly Worcester . I dont know the make. In any case I'll recommend he gets it serviced paying particular attention to the hot water pressure and hold fire proceeding with the shower until the pressures are sufficiently balanced.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:05 pm