2 way switch nightmare
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
patrick oliver
Labourer
Labourer

2 way switch nightmare

by patrick oliver » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:20 pm

2 lights on a two way switch. Removed flex on one to redecorate - thought I kept the right configuration but clearly did not as the light just remains on not controlled by the switch. The wiring does not seem to conform to standard diagrams for two way switches either. At the flex there are two black which I think were together at the neutral block, one red on the loop in and one red on live with a separate single core wire feeding into live as well - The light worked before I took it off but now just stays on - I must have put one of the wires in the wrong place and can't figure which....The first switch has the black and red at L1 and L2 and the single core wire feeds into the common. At the other light the single core appears again feeding into live with the red and black to neutral - the second switch is configured exactly the same as the first. I would be grateful for any help on this one as I am confounded! Tried various wire combinations without success - please, where have I gone wrong.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:23 am

I would not think it's your switch. More likely at ceiling rose. Here you will normally get two or three cables. One to light, One to switch, and possible one to next light. Normally all the reds (or brown on new system) go together but do not connect to lamp. One black (or blue) is not neutral but return from switch often with some red (brown) sleeving this goes to lamp line brown wire the remaining blacks (blue) are neutral and go together and to blue wire on lamp. All earth go together. But if you in error connect the switch return wire to neutral (often both black) it will be a direct short and as well as blowing fuse or tripping MCB it can also burn out switch.

Your account of switch wiring seems non standard normally you would find a three core cable with earth between both switches if you have messed up switch wiring there is a high chance you will need an electrician on site to sort it.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 am