2 way wiring problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mike Bull
Labourer
Labourer

2 way wiring problem

by Mike Bull » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi everyone, new member here with a problem that I'd like some advice on please. I'm having trouble with the 2 way wiring between my upstairs and downstairs.

Downstairs, there is a double switch. The right hand switch as you look at the front turns the downstairs light on and off. The left hand switch works the upstairs landing light. However, the function of this- and of the single upstairs landing light switch- depend on the position of each switch- i.e, sometimes it won't work from downstairs until the upstairs is switched, etc. This is driving me nuts!

This is the back of the downstairs switch, looking down from above. Just the black and red of the down stairs light on the left of shot, and the 2 way wiring on the right of image-

Downstairs.jpg
Downstairs.jpg (27.15 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

-and this is the back of the upstairs switch, again looking down the wall from above- single black, blue and yellow wires, and two red wires joined together with a piece of terminal block-

Upstairs.jpg
Upstairs.jpg (23.46 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

Amy suggestions please? Thanks!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 2 way wiring problem

by ericmark » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:54 am

How unusually to use school boy two way wiring. The right hand switch as I am looking at it would be the two way and it seems to be wired correctly for that method.

To avoid needing to have the connector block the more normal method is this but either method works. I would guess there is a break in either the yellow or blue cable.

Mike Bull
Labourer
Labourer

by Mike Bull » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks for the reply, though I'm not certain that I follow it. So either the upstairs switch is wired incorrectly, or there is a break in the wiring? (Which I'd not considered- I just assumed the connections were wrong somewhere)??

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:21 pm

As far as I can see it would seem you have a break in a wire. So either the yellow or blue seem likely open circuit. What test equipment have you got. A wired door bell so you could "Bell out" the wires would be enough but you need some sort of test equipment.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 pm