2nd floor damp flat-should I get builders in? Help!
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robbiet4
Labourer
Labourer

2nd floor damp flat-should I get builders in? Help!

by robbiet4 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:56 am

Sorry if I am repeating but I have mold spots in my bedroom and living room walls in my flat, and there is also a strong smell of damp. Every winter the mould creeps onto the walls and everything under my bed including clothes!

I have used a dehumidifyer which has had little effect and I open the bedroom window every morning for a couple of hours to allow air in, but the damp still comes every winter. It is a 1970's flat on the 2nd floor with no external air vents in any of the rooms.

I have used anti-mould paints around the double glazed windows which has had little effect, esepecially in the bedroom which is the worse affected. I also decorated the lounge last year and there was no mould then in that room but this year it is coming back on the external walls worse than before!

The only other thing I can think of is to get the builders in and have air vents built into the external walls. But I live on a 2nd floor flat and imagine this will be really expensive.

I do not have central heating in the bedroom but have started to put an electric heater in there..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

col111
Apprentice
Apprentice

by col111 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:40 pm

The problem is condensation which is covered in the condensation project, there are different solutions for condensation which is only a problem in the winter months. I am surprised that the dehumidifer didn't solve it, you need to have it on at all times on a normal setting so that it automatically switches on when the humidity rises and it needs to be emptied when full.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp

by welsh brickie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:18 am

could be a problem with the external wall have a surveyor take a look at it. If it is the wall you can claim on insurance and share the cost with the other flats.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:34 am