3 cables coming from ceiling light - how do you wire up
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Shazzy P
Labourer
Labourer

3 cables coming from ceiling light - how do you wire up

by Shazzy P » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:40 pm

I want to put up a new light fitting and when I took the old one down I'm faced with 3 cables consisting of 3 red, 3 black and 3 earth coming from the ceiling. How do I wire my new light fitting to these cables? Is it as easy as all live together, all neutral together and all earth together?

Any would be appreciated.

Cheers, Shazzy P.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:36 am

Please see our project on replacing a light fitting and also read the poroject on Part P of the building regulations.

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

by Jeffmo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi , it is reasonably easy ...once you know how , all reds should be together in a connection block ( plastic block - electrical block bought from any large diy store ) then you have all earths together ( if metal light fitting then an earth needs connecting to body of fitting , best way - connection block all earths from ceiling and run a earth wire from there to light fiting . Now there may be a problem ! You have three black wires , one of these is the switch wire back to your light switch , even though you may think this is not a live wire it can be so it needs to be and should be marked with a red sleeve .I f it isn't try a little further up ,it may have moved . Ok the two BLACK wires which are not sleeved should connect to the blue flex wire from light , the black wire that is sleeved should be connected to the brown flex wire from light .. Ok . easy aint it . Any probs get back to the forum. Remember 230 volts hurts SWITCH of circuit before taking any action . Cheers and good luck ( be safe) Jeff

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: 3 cables coming from ceiling light - how do you wire up

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:36 pm

[quote="Shazzy P"]I want to put up a new light fitting and when I took the old one down I'm faced with 3 cables consisting of 3 red, 3 black and 3 earth coming from the ceiling. How do I wire my new light fitting to these cables? Is it as easy as all live together, all neutral together and all earth together?

Any would be appreciated.

Cheers, Shazzy P.[/quote]
ALL BLACK TOGETHER ( OH NO ) 4TH OF JULY. DO NOT DO IT !!!!!!!!!
DOC INFO SHOULD BE READ AND UNDERSTOOD FIRST.
JEFFMO SPOT ON. HE AND MYSLEF WOULD ADVISE GETTING IT CHECKED
BY EXPERT HELP .
A CONTINUITY METER , BETWEEN RED AND BLACK OF SWITCH ,
DEFLECTING WHEN SWITCH IS CLOSED , COULD HELP TO IDENTIFY
BLACK AND TAG IT RED.
FOLLOW JEFFO AND DOC S ADVICE
BLAKEY1963

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:03 am