3 gang 2 way switch for outside light, hall, and landing
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TrevorB
Labourer
Labourer

3 gang 2 way switch for outside light, hall, and landing

by TrevorB » Wed May 27, 2009 1:11 pm

I am replacing an outside wall light with sensor with one without a sensor. Having wired it up it seems to be permanently "on" and the switch position appears not to affect this. Looking into the 3gang switch there are 2 red, 2 blue and 2 yellow with addit red linked between 2 terminals. What do I change to get the outside light switch working?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed May 27, 2009 6:00 pm

TrevorB
What terminations have you in switch ie com, L1, L2
are these the only cables in the switch do you not have another pair/3 core?
Do all lights work on two way operation?
KB

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Wed May 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Would suggest that the 2 red/yellow/blue are 2 3cores+ earth for your hall and landing 2 ways, and that the link is the problem, but need to have a clearer idea of which terminals( com/L1/L2) each wire goes to.

TrevorB
Labourer
Labourer

by TrevorB » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:52 am

[quote="bd3cc"]Would suggest that the 2 red/yellow/blue are 2 3cores+ earth for your hall and landing 2 ways, and that the link is the problem, but need to have a clearer idea of which terminals( com/L1/L2) each wire goes to.[/quote]

The house I am referring to is 30 miles away from home so I cannot look at the unit now, but I did draw a sketch of the existing connections without removing the cover completely from the wall. Couldn't see anything referred to as L1, L2 etc, but will describe terminals and wires as best I can.

The switch for landing is 2way, and I believe the hall is also but outside light is not 2way.
The cover has 4 terminals at the top ( i will refer them as T1, T2,T3,T4,) and 5 terminals at the bottom (B1, B2, B3, B4, B5). Connections are as follows :- T1 has red to mains and red connection to B3. T2 has no connections at all. T3 has yellow to mains. T4 has yellow to mains. Connections at the bottom are :- B1 no connections at all. B2 has blue to mains. B3 has the connection to T1 mentioned above. B4 has blue to mains. B5 has red to mains.

There is also an earth wired to the casing of the switch.

Hope this helps and thanks for the advice!!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi TrevorB
So if what you saying is true what cables switch the outside light on,
Have close look at the terminal connections inside switch as you will have Com/L, L1,L2 of some discription they look like your middle switch terminals are the other way round to the two either side.
I'd normally suggest
yellow to coms/L
Reds to L1
Blues to L2
for your two ways
and the link across L1 form the middle switch to last in line, but we have missing switch wires so confused!
Look in the other two switches operating the two lights on a two way operation, what are the core colours?
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:03 pm