3 switch light box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lordpesto
Labourer
Labourer

3 switch light box

by lordpesto » Tue May 20, 2008 9:33 pm

Hello there I am creating a socket and light circuit in a mess room on a farm. I am going to require 1 outside light and 2 internal strip lights. I have the switch and I am confused, I have at the top 002 common, below on each switch there is L1 and L2.

I have looked on the site and the diagram where the switch just interrupts the live makes sense this leaves me wondering. Please help!

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed May 21, 2008 6:33 am

L1 and L2 are both used with two way lighting when using as standard switch ignore L2 and just wire common to L1

lordpesto
Labourer
Labourer

by lordpesto » Wed May 21, 2008 1:00 pm

[quote="ericmark"]L1 and L2 are both used with two way lighting when using as standard switch ignore L2 and just wire common to L1[/quote]
Thanks for that, I am unsure what common means though? I'm guessing I should connect up neutral? Why is it called common?

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed May 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Oh no
Common means with switch in one position it connects to L1
with switch in other position it connects to L2
Neutral is not switched
Look at projects area lot easier to work out with pictures.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed May 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Live loops to all Common terms at switches, switch lines go to each L1,
L2 not connected. All neutrals go together in a new connector block in switch back box. eartth go to earth term which should be in back box already.
I must caution you, as if your electrical knowledge is as limited as it seems, should you be installing sockets, light ect. at all on a farm which is listed as a special location in the regs book due to extra safety requirements on agri/horti. premises!
All the work you propose is covered under the 'electricity at work act' even if it's only for leisure purposes & MUST be covered by an instasllation certificate.
I think you should seek qualified help.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am