30 min fire doors
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hfo
Labourer
Labourer

30 min fire doors

by hfo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:07 pm

I'm renovating an old property and as we are now using the loft space the 1st floor doors to habitable rooms must apparently be fire doors. Initial enquiries with building control suggest that they may let me make these and as I have to rebuild all the 1st floor stud walls it is a possibility. It's 17th century so old planked pine or oak of a suitable thickness plus whatever I need for a fire reg compliant door liner. The building is not listed. Does any one have any similar experience or recommendations. Many thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:13 pm

hfo,
My understanding is that if you have g,1, and 2nd floor you must now have a fire protected escape route to a ground floor door. Suggest you talk to BR dept - it may be worth getting plans approved before proceeding.
end

jackthebuilder
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jackthebuilder » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:41 am

Hi hfo - this is more a comment than advice!

I had a trawl tound the web a while back when I was looking for something similar - but didn't actually buy one coz I found one in a skip - and there's a lot of useful info out there if you can afford an hour or so...

The 'Real McCoy' doors are horrendously expensive, but essentially a solid timber door of sufficient thickness (depending on the actual breed of timber used) with all the appropriate door checks and door-closers should suffice.

It was interesting to note that timber is preferable to steel coz it doesn't conduct heat so much, and while the timber will burn, if it's thick enough and of the right stuff, it will take the necessary 30 or 60 minutes to burn through.

I think planning bods will be cautious of DIY doors - they prefer ones with the regulation stamps on them at which they can nod sagely while stroking an imaginary beard, but if you know what you're doing and can get good tight joints on the planks, perhaps you can show them one first.

And you could REALLY impress them by adding an intumescent seal on top and sides!

I'll be watching for more informed replies. Good luck!

Jack.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:05 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

hfo
Labourer
Labourer

fire doors

by hfo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks Jackthebuilder. Good info and seems to be the route I'm taking. A company called Envirograph are happy to visit - make recommendations and can supply all the intumescent strips etc. What's more BR are happy to go with their recommendations. So we'll give them a look asap. Thanks to all who replied.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:55 am