A double switch for two separate lights.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pdre
Labourer
Labourer

A double switch for two separate lights.

Post by pdre » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:04 pm

I have fitted a set of low voltage halogen lights in my wardrobe, and want to link them to a new double wall switch. One switch for the main bedroom lights and the other for the halogen.
The switch cable from the halogens is only two core - brown and blue.
The normal cable from the bedroom lights is two core (both red) and earth. The normal connection is red1 to L1 and red2 to com. The switch has two L1s, two L2s and two coms. I can't get the two core from the halogen to work in any combination.
I link the two coms with a short cable, and have tried everything. My best result was if I set the halogen cables in the same settings as the main lights. Then when the main lights are on the halogens are off. When the main lights are off, the halogens come on. Ohh pleeease help!!.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:28 pm

suggest you look on Docs site for ceiling rose wiring! , you can't connect to switch wires only as there is no neutral at switches normally....
the fact that there are 2 reds in switch confirms this, sorry but you need neutral from ceiling rose & live from switch. double sw. is two way so don,t use L2's link commons together & take new switch wire from L1 on switch, but this will meen running cable from switch to light & from light to wardrobe,
get someone in!

pdre
Labourer
Labourer

Post by pdre » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:21 pm

Thanks sparx. With your help it all works and my missus thinks I'm a genius again. :D

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:20 am