A few questions about our proposed extension (building regs)
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Urchin
Apprentice
Apprentice

A few questions about our proposed extension (building regs)

by Urchin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Hello I'm new

We are about to fill out a building notice forum and send in a basic floor plan of our propsed kitchen extension. I just have a few questions about the build before we do this. We are designing ourselves so have no architect.

It will be a single storey extension, as close to the boundary as possible. As we will have a pitched roof we understand we have to build leaving enough room so the guttering doesn't over hang our neighbours. Is there a set measurement for this? We obviously want to be as close to the boundary as possibly but not infringing on our neighbours property.

Also, with regards to building regs, the propsed extension will be on to the back of our current property. Where the lounge window is now, we will have an open gap with a breakfast bar on the other side, so from the lounge you will be about to see right into the new kitchen. This will make the whole of our downstairs relatively open plan.
Is this allowed? Is there anything we need to think about regarding this?

Thanks in advance

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:02 pm

So I asume you are cutting the window out to place a door of some kind or just straight in to extension.
Have a look at the goverment direct web site follow links to permitted developments and search for inter-active house sure to be some useful information there.
As long as you follow building controls (BCs) and PP is approved, I don't see a problem with what you are suggesting to do internally.
Remember when notifying BCs to apply for the thing as a whole including any electrical installation work.
KB

Urchin
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Urchin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:37 am

Thanks for your reply.
We are literally taking out the (very large) window then putting a worktop where the window ledge was. The existing kitchen will stay as is, with the outer door and adjoining wall removed to open up to the new room, so entry to the new room would be though the existing kitchen door, and through the existing kitchen. However, as I say the lounge window will be removed so you'll be able to see into the new kitchen from the lounge (and dining room) so it will look very open.

I will look up interactive house online, cheers again.

Urchin
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Urchin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:02 am

Oh I forgot my other question.

As I said above we will be building close to, but not onto, the boundary.
Our council tenant neighbour is a bit strange and not really a very nice person and we have had run ins with him before (he tried to steal our cat!- don't ask!)
We were not planning on telling him anything about what we plan to do because we are not going to touch "his" property. I say his but actually he's a council tenant.
As we don't need planning permission and it's only a 1 storey extension are we doing the right thing but just getting on with it? Are we legally obliged to do anything? Can he object at all even though we are not on his land?

Thanks in advance

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Me might be able to cause a stink, but if you are doing everything above board and No PP needed and Building controls have been notified of notifable work.
Not a lot they can do, but no harm in mentioning it to them, also good to keep your neighbours in touch of what you plan to do, as you will have workmen round and distruption of the road/estate you live on, is sometime unavoidable.
Even if your not friendly with them, still tell them. I'm sure if your other neighbours where about to take on projects/devolpments you'd appreciate being informed.
KB

Urchin
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Urchin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:59 pm

I guess I should mention it to him. He's just very strange, old, lives alone and has got quite a nasty streak. I just try to avoid him at all costs.
I have told my other neighbours and the lady who lives above him (its masonettes)

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:37 pm

I used to have a neighbour like that, unfortunately it was my Dad :lol:

AndiePricie
Tradesman
Tradesman

by AndiePricie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:37 pm

You will need to contact the social housing provider under the Party Wall Act as you are building close to a boundary.

You can build your wall right up to the boundary and form a recessed gutter for the rain water.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1