a little advice for a conservatory started before permission
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
yami
Labourer
Labourer

a little advice for a conservatory started before permission

by yami » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi all

i live in a council house, that is 2 bed, but i have 3 children, so we decided to build a conservatory that would have half walls and a tinted poly roof, for my 15 year old to have as a room.

i didn't realise that planning permission was needed for a conservatory, if i did i would have gone for an extension instead.

anyway we started on the foundation and dug down 41" to solid ground, my dad who has just built a large extension to his house said its fine, but should really be 600mm wide not the 400 we have, anyway we have concreted it and properly saddled the sewer pipe, today someone from the council said that they have had a phone call to say that we are doing building work, we said we were just going to build conservatory, to which she said we still need permission, so we daren't tell her we've done foundations untill we knew where we stood.

so will we have to dig it all up?
i have taken photo's and video of all the depths and the sewer pipe work, how do we stand? is there anyway we can apply for permission as we've already started.

any help and advice greatfully received.

stuart_craigon2003
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re

by stuart_craigon2003 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:18 am

Hey, it’s probably going to be okay however, council planning departments vary from council to council so I can't really say too much. However, what I can say is that you won't be allowed to use it as a permanent bed room. Unfortunately that is not allowed. Fold up couch for occasional use and as another reception room yes no problem. You'll get your behind kicked if they find out its going to be a permanent bed room and get told to put back what you have done to the letter.

Youl would have been better with an extention anway!

Good luck and be careful.

All the best

Stuart

Fishie42
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Fishie42 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:35 am

Generally building control like to come out and see foundation depths before you pour concrete. But if you have photos that might be ok...

400 wide for a foundation for a single storey addition should be fine, 600 wide would give you more room for manouver with blockwork details etc.

My advise would be come clean and provide all the information that you have to building control and planning. They are there to help you out and it's an honest mistake on your part.

Good luck

twofaced
Apprentice
Apprentice

by twofaced » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:29 pm

In terms of getting planning permission for a conservatory, depending on its size and position to the boundary, it shouldnt be too dificult. Obviously more so if you are in a conservation area. Most properties have permitted development rites, which allows you to stick on an extension assuming it fills the relevant criteria. the easiest thing to do would be to go down and speak to the local planning officer.

However as mentioned earlier, you certainly wont be able to use it as a bedrrom. As well as applying for planning permission you will also have to make an application for building warrant. There are mechanism for dealing with an application where the building work has already started or even complete, but be prepared, the building control officer may ask for certain areas to be opened or inspected. He can even ask for it to be taken down if not suitable.

hope this helps

Chris Langham
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Chris Langham » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:36 pm

Yami,
It might be better for you to apply for a 'Certificate of Lawful Development' retrospectively, instead of full planning permision which costs about £150.

You will still need to provide the following;
OS plan @ a scale of 1:1250
Site plan to a sacle of 1: 200 or 500
Plans of the existing house in relation to the conservatory.
That way the project can be made legal.
Normally, if it is classed as a conservatory it will bot need Building Regulations Approval, provided it meets the criteria for a conservatory.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:56 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:26 am