A quick theoretical question re:max RSJ lengths
Questions answered and solutions provided on many aspects of steel framed buildings and structures

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Biscuitman
Apprentice
Apprentice

A quick theoretical question re:max RSJ lengths

by Biscuitman » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:16 am

I have an existing one storey extension which I would like to build upon but the foundations are insufficient.

I would like the minimum amount of disruption to life as this extension contains kitchen etc.

The existing extension has two rooms on either end which are non essential and I was wondering whether these could be partially demolished to allow some deep corner foundations to be made. Then pillars could be used and a large joist to span the existing extension. Further joists attaching to the existing building.

The extension is ~25ft x 8ft.

Is this type of steel framing:

1) Possible
2) Economic
3) Straightforward

Any views eagerly sought.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:40 am

Possible but dependant on loading and ground conditions as to whether its economical. Nothing on a building site is ever straight forward so do not go into a project like this thinking there will not be complications. There always are. The only person who can give you a difinitive answer on this is an architect on site.

Biscuitman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Biscuitman » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:42 pm

Cheers for that, just sounding out whether it was worth putting the idea to an architect

andy01
Ganger
Ganger

Re: A quick theoretical question re:max RSJ lengths

by andy01 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:51 pm

architects dont size up joists, brick piers or founds, speak to an SE

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:30 pm