A second opinion please... added premium due to electrics?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lizzieg
Labourer
Labourer

A second opinion please... added premium due to electrics?

by lizzieg » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:20 pm

Dear all

I am trying to sell a property that turns out to have some damp problems; my buyer has had a damp proofing quote and three quotes to prepare beforehand / make good afterwards and is expecting me to take this amount off the sale price.

The damp proofing quote is fine but the quotes to prepare and make good seem very high to me - but perhaps there are regulations that mean that the electrical element is more complicated than it might initially sound? Can anyone advise as to whether these prices seem reasonable??

We are talking about a wall about 1m wide, with one DSSO.

The job entails:
Remove carpet and underlay
Isolate ring main to DSSO
Remove DSSO switch plate and terminate wires safely

Then, following remedial works by others for damp:
Replace skirting boards and make good
Make good plastering by others [i.e. skim]
Rewire DSSO and reinstall switch plate
Decorate replastered wall with mist & 2 coats of emulsion
Repaint skirting boards with eggshell paint
Refit underlay and carpet.

The quotes range from £1,200 to £1,300 for this one room.

(The job involves similar work in two other rooms - priced at relatively similar levels according to the amount of wall involved - so there is also the question of whether we should expect to get some economies of scale, e.g. you would only have to isolate the ring main once for all three rooms).

I just want to get some idea as to whether this kind of price seems reasonable / a bit on the high side but OK-ish / exorbitant.

One of the quotes mentions that the "price includes for testing and certification and Part P notification to Local Building Control" - I don't know how much of this is applicable and what costs might be involved?

The flat is in London so prices are generally higher as a rule, I guess.

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice you may have!

Cheers
Liz

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:29 pm

lizzieg,
If you are really talking about a wall 1m wide then the price seems excessive. If it's for a whole room ie 4 walls it might be the going rate - depends on the size of room and local parking.
end

lizzieg
Labourer
Labourer

by lizzieg » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated. I thought that was the case and have managed to negotiate a much more reasonable price.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:07 pm