A stuck bath / shower mixer
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
EyeTry
Tradesman
Tradesman

by EyeTry » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:44 pm

An elderly friend who is registered blind has a problem with a bath / shower mixer where the pull up / push down collar that diverts the water from taps to shower has stuck. He says it is "a while" since he used it and I cannot move the collar up or down, I even disconnected the hose connection and the outlet holes seem clear of any scale. I`d guess the tap assembly is umpteen years old but he would prefer it be repaired rather than replaced.... . Any suggestions? Thanks in anticipation. EyeTry

kironman
Labourer
Labourer

by kironman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:01 am

only sugestion would be to remove the whole thing and perhaps let it soak in a descaling solution, sounds like its gunked up internally.

failing that a new one is probably only answer.

regards

kev

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:23 pm

hi
if you do remove it to soak or clean then would that not be the best time to install a new one?
bob

EyeTry
Tradesman
Tradesman

by EyeTry » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:41 pm

Thanks, soaking the removed assembly in Viakal or similar was a good suggestion. We didn`t know how long he would be without running water whilst whoever did the job. I guess it is back to him to decide if he wants to fork out for a new assembly (Screwfix have some around £40 to £50) or stay with using just the bath...) Thank you both for your input, Regards, EyeTry

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:27 am