Actuator or 3 Port Valve
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sixty Six
Apprentice
Apprentice

Actuator or 3 Port Valve

Post by Sixty Six » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi, Ive already got a few answers from this forum for a few problems I've got with the CH. It appears that the actuaor is the cause of why I get the heating on when only hot water is needed - question is, how easy is it to change the actuator sat on top of the three way valve ?? Is this something I could attempt ( reckon I'm about a 7 on the DIY scale ).

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks 88

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:42 am

Yes it's pretty simple. There'll probably be 2 bolts securing the head to the valve.

Then it's just a case of matching the wiring like for like and connecting up. Wire back to the junction box, best not to use electrical connectors.

When securing the head back onto the valve, do not screw it down tight, the head should be slightly loose.

Make sure you fit the head the right way.

htg

Sixty Six
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sixty Six » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:55 pm

thanks for the info - dumb question for you though, do I need to have the water off and the system drained before I start or just have the power off ??

Thanks 66

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:36 am

Just changing the actuator - all you need is the electrical supply turned off.
If you need to change the valve/body - you will need to drain the system, they're normally ok though and it's just the actuator/motorised valve that needs changing.

htg

Sixty Six
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sixty Six » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:45 pm

thanks htg - job done ! 20 minutes ( and £50.00) I've got hot water without the heating coming on and also heating without hot water coming on

Thanks again

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1