Adapting a Basic Log Cabin with Insulation to Meet Building Regs
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hs1
Labourer
Labourer

Adapting a Basic Log Cabin with Insulation to Meet Building Regs

by hs1 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:57 pm

We want to replace our garage with a log cabin. Building regulations approval will be required as we plan to use it as additional sleeping accommodation for visitors. We are wondering if we could buy a basic log cabin and then add insulation etc to the floors, windows, roof etc in order to comply with building regulations. Do you think this would be feasible? Has anyone any experience with this? Any pit falls to watch out for? We feel it should be feasible but don't want to start down this route and then find it is not possible or uneconomical once we have bought the log cabin etc. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

tileclipproman
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Adapting a Basic Log Cabin with Insulation to Meet Building Regs

by tileclipproman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:21 pm

As far as it goes with most councils,If it is not plumbed in they dont want to know .

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:35 pm

you may require planning consent, as the design and size may clash with local residents approval

hs1
Labourer
Labourer

by hs1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:15 am

Thanks for your replies. My understanding was that log cabins didn't require planning permission if they are under 2.5m high. I'm not sure if the existing garage is higher than this though so if we were to convert that maybe we would need planning permission?

I should have mentioned, we are planning to include a shower room so there would plumbing.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1