Adding a storage heater
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stillia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Adding a storage heater

Post by Stillia » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:57 pm

Hi, a friend of a friend wants me to supply & install a storage heater in his basement, so he can obtain economy 7 rates. He asked me for a quote, but having never fit one before I don't know what to charge!!
Can anyone advise me on what to charge & how to install? For instance, who arranges for the electricity company to install their meter & how is this linked to the heater?
Thanks, andy.

jaffa19
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Adding a storage heater

Post by jaffa19 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:05 pm

[quote="Stillia"]Hi, a friend of a friend wants me to supply & install a storage heater in his basement, so he can obtain economy 7 rates. He asked me for a quote, but having never fit one before I don't know what to charge!!
Can anyone advise me on what to charge & how to install? For instance, who arranges for the electricity company to install their meter & how is this linked to the heater?
Thanks, andy.[/quote]

I don't want to sound rude please don't take it that way but :
1/ What to charge, thats for you to decide.
2/ How to install, you should use the building regs and BS7671 as guides (too many various possibilities).
3/ The owner is to contact their supplier to get details of installing econ 7, Its not up to you.
4/Econ 7 can either have low rates in eve for all electric supply or a separate night storage heater consumer unit.

your best bet is to get the owner of the house to find out what the supplier requirements are and work from that.

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

Post by kuzz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:17 pm

Is the idea of the storage heater just to justify asking his supplier to be switched over? I haven't looked into this but I'm pretty sure you don't have to own a storage heater to switch. If for what ever reason he uses or wants to use a lot of electricity between 12pm and 7am and feels this tariff would benefit him he should just get in touch with his supplier.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:59 am