Adding an additional ceiling rose to a bedroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Glen
Labourer
Labourer

Adding an additional ceiling rose to a bedroom

by Glen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:27 am

Hi

I've had a look at the Projects page and have found the section on adding an extra celing rose which pretty much confirmed what I thought.

Just a quick question, on my existing celing rose, when adding/connecting my extra ceiling rose cable into the existing rose, I have a spare space in both the live and neutrals connectors as the live and neutral on either the previous/next or the live only of the switch have already been twitsted together i.e two wires into one hole. Is this Ok to connect into those spare holes.

I am competant at doing electrics and do have common sense and I also know when you need professionals do jobs thats what you do. But I have never added a light before and would like to check before either attempting it myself or getting someone in.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Glen.

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:59 am

Simple answer yes. But if you want second light to work from existing switch you will not want live but will want switch wire?

Glen
Labourer
Labourer

by Glen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:58 am

Many thanks for the reply.

I was going to fit a double switch so as to control the two lights seperately?

So take an extra switch wire from the new ceiling rose down to the new double switch. I presume (which you should never!) this will be OK.

Cheers.

Glen
Labourer
Labourer

by Glen » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:51 pm

One last thing......

All connected up and working fine.

Now I have a new double switch controlling both the lights, left switch switches the first (Old) light on and off the right switch switches the second (New) light on and off.

Question, on the other double switches I have in my house there is an extra smaller wire which appears to connect the 2 commons on the switches.

Never having changed a single to a double switch before, what is this extra smaller wire for and do I need to add one to my project.

Apologies if this is a silly question.

Glen.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:28 am