adding down lights in a room
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marty_stain
Labourer
Labourer

adding down lights in a room

by marty_stain » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:37 pm

ok I am not as clever as I thought i was, I am trying to fit down lights in the bedroom, have got them in and connected but they dont work correctly.

I have connected into the p live with a junction box and fed back to a double dimmer however while the switch works ok i cant turn on the downlights on there own, they will only work when the main light side of the dimmer is on, the down light side will dim the spots but the main light (existing) dims both, not sure if it is wireing or maybe the dimmer switch will not work two seperate circuits help!!!!!!!!!!!

cbrownrigg
Labourer
Labourer

by cbrownrigg » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:27 pm

Hi Marty
I'm no expert but it sounds like when you connected into the live at the junction box, you have connected after the main circuit switch. This means your new circuit will only have power when your main switch is on,(and then your new switch will work). This is also why your main light dimmer is also dimming your down lights because it is feeding both.

You need to go back to the biginning and find the live before it enters the switch of your main circuit. Connect your new circuit there and it should work independantly.

Hope this helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:17 pm