Adding light and toilet flush!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jameskwalmsley
Labourer
Labourer

Adding light and toilet flush!!

by jameskwalmsley » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:38 pm

I know, from the heading your thinking toilet flush. This is the electrical section. Bear with me! :wink:

Last year I had my garden landscaped, and at that time I had electricians in to install a power supply from the house to a new cabin at the bottom of the garden. From the house the feed exits the end of the kitchen into a small outside loo, down the garden, picking up 3no garden lights and then into the cabin. I now want to add a light into the outside loo and power to an electronic sensor flush device for the loo. There is a fused switch in there already for turning the garden lights on and off. This fused switch sits direclty above a small box which the main armoured cable enters into from the garden.

Will I be OK just wiring into this switch to feed another small wall light in the loo and the loo flush device, so that in essence when I switch the swicth it turns turns the garden lights, loo light and loo flush.
The loo flush device is just a live, neutral, and I need to add in an earth.

Any advice apprecited. :D

Cheers
James

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:23 pm

seems ok, main thing is the fuseswitch fuse size, as long as the fuse is rated lower than the cables can carry, IE 1.0mm cable max fuse 10A
I presume you are going to connect to the out going term of the fused connection unit/fused spur/ fused switch u refered to.
Sparx

jameskwalmsley
Labourer
Labourer

by jameskwalmsley » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. The fuse is 5A. The cable I will be using is 1.5mm Max 20A. Thats OK isn't it?
As for connecting to the outgoing term. I haven't actually taken the front off the switch yet. Will there just be markings for incoming/outgoing? Any tips if not?
Thanks again.
James

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:22 am

if its a fused con. unit ie combined fuse holder plus sw. then it will be marked, normally live in(centre top) neutral in( bottom), load top left & right outgoing
some times colour coded
Sparx

jameskwalmsley
Labourer
Labourer

by jameskwalmsley » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:39 am

Thanks Sparx. Appreciate all the advice. Great service.

James

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:14 am