adding new radiators
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
anglonet
Labourer
Labourer

adding new radiators

by anglonet » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:22 am

I have just moved in to an old cottage, the boiler is quite new but there are only 3 rads running off it, all upstairs. I want to put 1 new rad upstairs and 2 new rads downstairs. What is the best way to install them? I thought that i may be able to take a feed off one of the upstairs rads for the 3 new ones. can you advise best way to go about it please

cheers

anglonet

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:49 pm

It depends on the size of the pipe used for the flow and return, If its 22mm then should be no bother tee-ing into the flow and return to feed the new rads, using either 15mm or 10mm pipe.

Don't try tee-ing into 10mm pipe as IF it works, it will not give off much heat.

If the flow and return are only 15mm then it'll be worth upgrading the pipe to 22mm either up to the manifold or to where each radiator is tee'd in.

anglonet
Labourer
Labourer

adding new rads

by anglonet » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:17 pm

thanks for the advice, I have checked the pipework and it is all run in 10mm copper. Any idea what to do. I was going to run a tee off the flow then run the rads in serial and runt the return back in with another tee
cheers

Anglonet

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:53 pm

It'll probably be 10mm to all radiators, but 22mm from the boiler to the manifolds or 22mm pipe with 22 - 10mm tee's.

The best thing to do is to tee into the 22mm flow and return and fit 10mm finger manifolds, you can then fit up to 4 radiators, just blank all tails you don't use.

Justremember to take one flow pipe and one return to each radiator.

Hope this helps

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1