Adding New Sockets to Room That has Been Partitioned
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ar67
Labourer
Labourer

Adding New Sockets to Room That has Been Partitioned

by Ar67 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi
I've created a new small room by partioning a bit off 2 adjoining rooms. I want the add some sockets and have a couple of options:

1) Run a spur.. or spurs off an fcu. But I don't have the ability to test the socket I want to come off is on the ring main, although I believe it is.

2) I have a 6mm old shower cable which currently just runs a bathroom 2kw heater used occasionally. The shower is no longer electric. Can I also run this into an fcu (is that even necessary) fused down to 13A and then run multiple spurs into the new room.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Adding New Sockets to Room That has Been Partitioned

by BLAKEY1963 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:53 pm

As you don t have the abiltity to test and be certain it is ok to add on to your circuit, it would be very wise to consult a local registered electrician in your area for further advice..

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:53 am

Anything is possible and you have a couple of options that can be manufactured to attain your goal. Yet, as you have said you do not have the ability to test, if you do not have that skill set or the equipment to perform the tests required, to proof the installation is safe to commission and put into service. Then by not doing so, you cannot prove you have taken the reasonable precautions, under part p. Which will mean you have broken the law.
So I would also recommend that an electrician is employed, to undertake the task.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:30 pm

The problem with installing electrics it may not be the guy installing which makes a fatal error.

There was a very good report about the death of a woman, the plaster hit the cable then the plumber did not glue the tun dish, then the water heater went wrong causing water to go everywhere, then when the woman went to turn off the stop cock she was electrocuted.

It seems the electrical firm used semi-skilled labour, his job was simple, plug in a tester, push the button and make a note of the reading. When the plaster damaged to cable this would have resulted in the reading being infinity, however instead of simply writing down infinity, he went into the tea cabin and asked others what to put down, so sent in a set of fudged results.

One would have expected the semi-skilled guy to be found guilty, however it was the foreman who was found guilty for using semi-skilled labour and not a skilled man.

From that court case we realised the testing must be done by a skilled person, even though it is only a case of plugging in the tester and pressing a button and writing down what it says, the court says that person must be skilled.

You can get all the test equipment, but you need something to show you have the skill to use it. The LABC has the task of assessing if you have that skill, I found the LABC was rather hard to convince that my son had the ability to do the inspection and testing in spite of having a C&G2391 certificate, in the end they allowed me to do it, when my son said if anyone was to find the installation was not to the required standard, he would need to be higher qualified than me, and I had a degree in electrical and electronic engineering.

I am sure many people do things which are technically illegal, and as long as nothing goes wrong they get away with it, I am sure there has been times when I have not been watching my speedometer and have ended up speeding, but I have only been caught once, and since no one was killed as a result all I got was a fixed penalty.

I think you could likely use either supply and make a good job, my problem is I can't see what you are doing, and it would be so easy to make an error. Ring final circuits are a real problem to test to ensure there is no over load, I would not be happy to try to explain how to do it using a forum.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 pm