Adding Second Oudoor Security Light to Existing PIR Security Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mg1981
Labourer
Labourer

Adding Second Oudoor Security Light to Existing PIR Security Light

by mg1981 » Tue May 03, 2016 1:28 am

I have an exisiting Security Light with a PIR Sensor and would like to know if its possible to add a second light without a PIR sensor which would switch on from the exisiting PIR sensor light ????????

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Adding Second Oudoor Security Light to Existing PIR Security Light

by ericmark » Tue May 03, 2016 10:53 am

Simple answer is yes, however the existing PIR will have either a solid state or mechanical relay with a maximum rating. You don't know what that rating is so if you draw power from it you could cause an overload.

My outside light was designed to take a 110 Watt quartz lamp. It has a 5W LED lamp, so I could run another 21 lamps off the PIR without overload.

However I find the main problem is getting a PIR to see me but not see people passing on the road. So at the 10 ~ 15 pounds for a ready built LED lamp with PIR built in I would use a second PIR.

Over the years I have found the PIR is the weakest link, again and again the PIR fails but the lamp is OK. If the PIR has a relay i.e. you can hear it click then connecting up two PIR's is helpful. Assuming they are not overloaded.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:04 pm