Adding Shelves in my Transporter
Ask questions and find answers on a range of subjects relating to self build projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Thilo
Labourer
Labourer

Adding Shelves in my Transporter

by Thilo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:55 pm

Hello everybody. I am brand new and still somewhat overshadowed by the size of the forum. So if I have wrongly classified here, then simply move my post. I am an independent craftsman and my transporter is my workshop. I want to put my tools neatly in the loader room. Have you already had experiences with shelves for vehicles (e.g., http://www.sortimo.ie/vehicle-solutions/van-racking-solutions/sortimo-hd/? Or did you build your own? What materials are good? Thank you for your answers.

Dani47
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Adding Shelves in my Transporter

by Dani47 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 am

Hey Thilo,

probably you haven`t seen the feature which sortimo offers yet. They offer a configurator, where you can check virtually if everything fits in your van or not . I also use the shelves from sortimo, and they offer really a good quality, so you dont have to buy new ones after 1 or 2 years because the old are broken. Maybe you could check the new feature.

Greets Daniel

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Adding Shelves in my Transporter

by collectors » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:04 pm

Every 3 to 4 years i would get a new van always with a tailgate so you could sort things out in the rain & then spend 2 days racking it out.
I would normally get plastic boxes of several sizes & build shelves to suite. IE: large boxes at the bottom. With all the shelves i would also have a lip on the front of the shelf about 10/15mm high to stop the boxes coming out. This i found great for the large boxes, but not enough for the small ones. So on the smaller ones i run some white net curtain wire across the front of the shef about 3" up & that worked great as if you wanted a box out you just pulled the curtain wire down.
Construction was mainly 12mm ply & 2x1 for shelf supports. If you are doing it both sides, put some 2x2 cross braces up at roof level to strengthen all the shelving up, its also somewhere else to hang things. Good luck as i know the racking systems are ridiculously expensive.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:09 am