adding to a ring circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jbslord
Labourer
Labourer

adding to a ring circuit

by jbslord » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:03 pm

I want to add three new outlets to the mains ring on the first floor in a bedroom. I have done house wiring in Canada and have no qualms about doing a good job but wonder about the legality of doing the work.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:00 pm

The Part P document is a free down load and you should read it yourself in case I am missing something but it would seem the work you are intending to do would not need registering.

However as with all electrical work inspection and testing is still required and compliance with 17th Edition (BS7671:2008).

You will need any new sockets to be RCD protected and any new cables buried in the wall at less than 50mm deep will either need RCD protection of be of the special permitted cables like Ali-tube.

Although fitting a spur you can use a RCD FCU with a ring either the consumer unit will need a RCD fitted or you will need to use Ali-tube cable which when I tried to buy was only on sale by the role.

As soon as you look at changing anything other than like for like in a consumer unit then Part P raises it's head and you need to register the work before starting.

If it does require registering then the minimum charge is so high plus of course buying or hiring test equipment likely it will be cheaper not to DIY.

Hence why I say down load the Part P document and read first.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:08 pm

nothing legally to prevent you doing this work, only thing missing will be a minor works cert. which won't be a problem until you want to sell up, even then unlikely to be picked up by survey!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:59 am