Adjusting door hinges, how to
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
juco
Apprentice
Apprentice

Adjusting door hinges, how to

Post by juco » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:42 am

Can anyone offer advice on how to adjust these hinges.
Door is dropping slightly at the latch end.

This one appears to be slightly off centre to the left.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

adjusting hinges

Post by welsh brickie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:42 am

You cant really adjust them hinges.The fault lies in the glazing of the door.It needs to be deglazed and repacked.

juco
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by juco » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks for reply, is this a DIY job or does it take more expertise than that?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

adjusting hinges

Post by welsh brickie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:37 pm

juco wrote:Thanks for reply, is this a DIY job or does it take more expertise than that?

That depends on your confidence,Can you describe if the door is half glass with panel/fully glazed or upvc full panel,and if there is a thick black rubber gasket on the outside.
I can walk you through the procedure.

juco
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by juco » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 am

Thanks,
The door (pic below) has glass in the top half, it has a black seal on the outside and on the inside has a black seal with beading.
I can provide more pics if required.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

delazing door

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:06 am

You will need a sharp 2inch or 3 inch paint scraper,and a plastic hammer an ordinary claw hammer wont do as it can damage the beads.
First check how much the door has dropped,measure the outside door to the top of the frame.
The difference will be only about 3mm,also try lifting the door while closing it to see if it closes without catching.
Deglazing the door.
The door is made up of an outer and inner frame,the panel is cut and placed into the frame and packed with plastic packers to stop the door from dropping.These can become loose with time.To deglaze the door you will need to remove the top and latch end beads.Using your hammer tap the scraper into the groove and lever the bead out,start at the middle on the longest bead.
Once you have removed the beads you will see the packers at the top corner.Then insert a wood chisel by the packers and lift the frame,repack the door and check to see if it closes better.If it does silicone the packers in place and hammer the beads back in place.

juco
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by juco » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks welsh brickie,

I will give that a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

My apologies for the delays in replying but my posts are moderated and this is delaying them being posted.

juco

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:15 pm