Adjusting hinges on UPVC doors
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
snowhill
Labourer
Labourer

Adjusting hinges on UPVC doors

by snowhill » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:27 pm

We have an external UPVC door which has been difficult to lock (raising handle) over the last few weeks and today my wife just couldn't lock it.

Done what I should have done some time ago and had a good look at the problem and it appears to me that the door has dropped slightly at the opening edge (I was able to lock it by heaving hard to raise the door) probably accentuated by the hot weather.

Thought it would be fairly easy to adjust by the hinges but having taken the covers off I find that there is what appears to be a knurled thread adjuster BUT its impossible to turn the knurled knob. There is, however, what appears to be a space specifically left in the construction of the lock to allow a tool to be inserted into the end of the threaded rod - possibly an Allen Key -but on close examination there doesn't appear to be any keyway or anything else for the key to lock into.

Can someone, please, advise me on how to progress this job.

TIA

johnthejoiner
Apprentice
Apprentice

upvc door

by johnthejoiner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:17 pm

you may be able to adjust the door by removing the glass and or panels and repacking to lift the door as required

carpstu
Apprentice
Apprentice

by carpstu » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:25 pm

if the door hasnt dropped that bad you can try takeing of the keeps on the frame and find which one catches then ajust it on its fixing screws
up or down in or out
you could ajust the hindges but bear in mind some of these are on plastic cams and sometimes round off
or if its that bad you would have to take out the beads and wedge the door up then pack between the glass and the frame of the door from corner to corner so it dosent drop again then i put a little blob of silocone
beside the packers so that they dont move

hope this helps stu

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:58 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:34 am