Advice - exposed brick/damp behind skirting
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hibsred
Labourer
Labourer

Advice - exposed brick/damp behind skirting

by Hibsred » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi there

Bought an old lower villa recently (early 1900s). Back room is an extension (still likely to be at least 50 yrs old) which has a concrete floor.

Re-decorating, so lifted the carpet and underlay and there was some isolated moisture at the edge of the floor at one wall (where external stairs to the upper villa run - also think the interior ground level is lower than exterior anyway). There's only a couple of patches and they don't come out from the wall any more than a few inches.

Anyway, then removed the skirting and it looks like the previous owner cut away some of the plaster along the foot of the wall some time ago to fit some sockets (maybe up to a couple of inches off the floor). I've since read this might actually be cut short to prevent damp. Confused!!!

I've ran a dehumidifier for a few days and it's drying out the moisture patches at the edges.

I'm just looking for some simple advice about what I could do before refitting the skirting, ideally to cut off the moisture getting through from the exposed brick more than anything.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1000344833 ... 8420630546

Cheers

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice - exposed brick/damp behind skirting

by welsh brickie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:29 am

no its normal,the plaster can suck up moisture from the concrete floor so its cut back to stop it.Also the back of the skirting is painted with a damp roof paint to prevent it rotting.

Hibsred
Labourer
Labourer

by Hibsred » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Thanks, makes sense. Do you know if there's anything I can do to stop moisture getting through at the foot of the wall from the brick behind?

Also, I've just noticed - the other half of this particular wall (situated the right of the area shown in the pic) has different internal construction - whereas the entire wall area up to the ceiling in the pic above seems to be plasterboard entirely (with a 'gap' between it and the brick behind) the OTHER half to the right is solid plaster, that I'm guessing is bonded much closer to the brick behind. One area of the lower wall on that side has a bit of a damp patch.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:43 am

I would paint synthapruf on the wall,behind the skirting.The gap can be filled with expanding foam,which is waterproof.The plasterboard on the wall is stuck with drywall adhesive hench the gap.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:18 am