advice for building a porch please
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oldwelshman
Apprentice
Apprentice

advice for building a porch please

Post by oldwelshman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:09 am

Hi.
I am a competent diyer and even managed to do a real loft conversion alone (building reg inspected and passed) so no doing a porch put fron of house so looking for a bit of advice.
I do not need planning due to the size of the porch I am doing so ok there.
I have checked out a couple of porches in my close and they all appear to be single skin, is this the norm. Maybe it would be better double skin?
I am looking to have a door with side panels either side so also want to know what to put above the doors and side windows.
Do I bridge the gap ontop of the supporting walls with a wooden wall plate to fix the doors to and support roof or do I use a lintel of some type?
Not seen much info on web for porches :D

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

Post by ALDA » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:46 pm

IN GENERAL, SINGLE SKIN IS USED WHERE COSTS ARE THE GOVERNING FACTOR AND ALSO WHERE INTERNAL TEMPERATURE IS NOT A SIGNIFICANT DESIGN FACTOR IN THE DAILY USE OF THE PORCH.

DOUBLE SKIN STRUCTURE WILL PROVIDE INTERIOR TEMPERATURE STABILITY ESPECIALLY IF CAVITY INSULATED, ROOF INSULATED AND DOUBLE GLAZED BUT ALL AT A COST.

A TIMBER LINTEL/WALLPLATE CAN BE INCORPORATED INTO ROOF STRUCTURE IF A LOW PROFILE ROOF IS USED. (FLAT OR SHALLOW PITCHED ROOF OF LIGHT CONSTRUCTION).

WHERE A MORE SUSTANTIAL ROOF IS REQIRED AND POSSIBLY BRICKWORK ABOVE DOOR AND FRAMES, THEN STANDARD STRUCTURAL LINTEL IS NEEDED FOR SINGLE OR DOUBLE SKIN CONSTRUCTION WITH WALLPLATE ON BRICKWORK.

OF COURSE THE FOUNDATIONS WILL VARY IN CONSTRUCTION OF SINGLE AND DOUBLE SKINS.

SO IN CONCLUSION, SINGLE SKIN IS CHEEPER, LESS WORK AND QUICKER TO COMPLETE.
WHERE AS, DOUBLE IS MORE EXPENSIVE, MORE WORK AND WILL TAKE LONGER TO COMPLETE.

HOPE THE BUILD GOES WELL WHICH EVER CHOICE YOU MAKE.

ALDA.

oldwelshman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by oldwelshman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks for reply.
As it is only to shelter main door and put shoes in, I will go for single skin which is easier and will not go so close to neighbours fence and I will go for a 4" x 2" double up wall plate and just put a small roof on top.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:55 am