Advice Needed for Full Re-Wire Whether to use 32A for Plugs?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
christieb
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Needed for Full Re-Wire Whether to use 32A for Plugs?

by christieb » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:44 pm

I want to have my house re-wired because it is a mix of old and new electrics, mixed circuits and junction boxes etc. To cut costs I was planning to do all the grunt work myself, cutting out, lifting floor boards and putting wires in position using the ring circuit design, so I only have to get an electricitan in to disconnect the old wiring, connect the new wiring and install the fuse box/RCD unit. However, I am not sure exactly what wiring I need to buy for the plugs, is it just 32A or do I need different wiring? would be glad of any help.

christieb
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Advice Needed for Full Re-Wire Whether to use 32A for Plugs?

by christieb » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:09 pm

Sorry meant to say is it just 4mm wire to use on 32a plugs.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:56 am

Wish it was that easy. No such thing as 32A cable except with flex which should be in free air.

Every cable has a range of amperages according to how installed. In the main we use 2.5mm cable for ring finals but it does depend where the cable goes.

An electrician can only sign for work which he is responsible for. So he can ask the apprentice to install cables then sign them off, but if the apprentice installed cables then asked the electrician to sign them off he should refuse.

The problem is getting some one to employ you to work on your own house. That is technically what has to happen, the electrician has to sub contract you to do the donkey work. So he is in control.

Clearly method is first get the electrician.

We talk about Part P. All domestic wiring comes under Part P building regulations, but only some of it needs registering with local authority. Down load the Part P for where you live and read what it says.

It is not plain what is and what is not covered and clearly people want to interpret the document to suit themselves and I personally don't care if you break the law or not I don't want to know.

However neither do I want to see anyone injured and to put it bluntly DIY people don't have the skill or equipment to re-wire a house.

It says you can pay the LABC a fee and wire it yourself but every time some one inspects your work you will be charged on top of the money paid before starting. In real terms it allows electricians to re-wire their own house and pass on the paperwork to the LABC for them to scrutinise, but unless you have the skill and meters to complete that paperwork it could work out more expensive than getting some one to do it.

I found Liverpool LABC very helpful, Chester were not as good but still reasonable, Flintshire were really tight on what they would allow me to do and I would say the DIY guy had no chance. So it all depends on your local authority and the inspectors they can be very good they can also be a pain.

Expect to pay around £500 in fees and around £200 on hiring test equipment so if the rewire would cost 5k then may be DIY but at 2k not worth the effort.

christieb
Labourer
Labourer

by christieb » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:51 pm

Quoted £4000, which we can not afford, was hoping if we did grunt work and laid the wires etc it save some money to just get electrician to re-connect everything. I thought seems we weren't actually touching any electrics/connections it would be ok. Safety, is priority and from what you say that's a no-go. Thanks for your help.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:30 am

My son agreed to let the house owner do the work of laying cables and he would connect. Never again, he would leave instructions and either the work was not done or it was done incorrectly.

Most have been caught out in the same way so will not employ the owner to do the work, which is technically what they are doing.

However work done before the electrician starts, and agreeing to make good after the electrician leaves so electrician does no plastering is different. You may get a cheaper job if you agree to refit floor boards and plaster after the electrician leaves.

christieb
Labourer
Labourer

by christieb » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks for your advice, would be happy to do that and will try a few more and see what they come back with.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:52 pm