Advice Needed for Suspended Timber Floor for Bathtub, Sink and Toilet over Existing Floor
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

LAM1983
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Needed for Suspended Timber Floor for Bathtub, Sink and Toilet over Existing Floor

by LAM1983 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi,

I have a bathroom 3.3m x 2.2m.

I would like to build a raised floor to accomodate a bathtub, sink and toilet.

There already exists a floor. The timber joists run along the shortest axis of the room being approximately 2.4m wide accounting for the 10cm joist ends which sit into the brickwork.

The house is a mid-terrace. Built 1900.

To construct my new floor, can I overlay the joists on the existing floor - I presume this is not best practice?
If I am to build a new floor over the existing floor, which would be supported independent of the existing one, is the following construction suitable:

1. Hang one main joist (number 6 on drawing) across the shortest length of the room in the same direction as the current joists - span 2.35m - bearing 100mm
2. Hang other 5 joists (number 1-5) at a right angle to the first joist for 2.15m into the wall at the other side. 100mm bearing one end on brickwork // 450mm centres.
3. Adjoin Joists 1-5 to joist 6 by way of joist hangers.

Joists 125 x 47mm C16.
What specification should joist 6 be - I presume it must be larger to take the weight of 1-5?
Drawing attached with plan.

Many thanks in advance.

Bathroom-Joist-Plans-small.jpg

It is currently Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:10 pm