advice needed on bricking up hole when gas fire removed plz
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ib6ub9
Labourer
Labourer

advice needed on bricking up hole when gas fire removed plz

by ib6ub9 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:41 pm

hiya folks! Im new to this site and newto the DIY game. I have decided that iam goig to remove my gas fire and want to close off the hole and plaster over it. 1st of all my gas fire has an isolation point which i can use b4 disconecting and i wasn't thinking off removing this, incase i ever wanted to go back to the gas fire, then the connection point is still there. secondly, there is no chimney ontop of my house. when looking at other post about doing this kind of job i have noticed alot of people warning to cap off the chimney to stop rain coming in ang causing damp. Now i was wondering... as i have no chimney do i need to do things differenly? and would i need to use an air brick still at the bottom of the chimney when bricking up? or is bricking it up and plastering over the best way to go about it? as i said folks, i am a novice and would really appreciate any tips, advice, or let me know things to watch out for. basically all and any input to me is valuable.

ok guys thanks for taking the time to read my post, and thanks in advance 4 your help

cheers - lee :D

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:15 pm

ib6ub9,
You've got to find out where the flue goes to - if it is formed in brick up an outside wall you'll probably have to vent it.
end

ib6ub9
Labourer
Labourer

by ib6ub9 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:16 pm

stoneyboy wrote:ib6ub9,
You've got to find out where the flue goes to - if it is formed in brick up an outside wall you'll probably have to vent it.
end

hi stoneyboy ad 1st of all thanx 4 reply m8.

the flue goes up into the loft and is not on an outside wallit it has staircase at the backside of it and the living room and above bedroom on the front side of it.

thnks - lee

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:01 pm