Advice Needed on Building 2 Storey Extension up to Boundary Wall
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kate0408
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Needed on Building 2 Storey Extension up to Boundary Wall

by Kate0408 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:17 am

Good morning.

We are planning on extending our semi-detached home to incorporate a 2 storey side extension.

Currently we have a carport, behind which is a Garage, behind which is a utility room. All of which are built right up to our boundary line.

Next door are flats which were built about 10 years after our home was built. Our road is on a hill, so the flats are built on higher ground to us.

Our boundary wall connects to the flats' side footpath. There is one doorway entrance facing our property (no windows).

We are hoping to knock down the existing carport/garage/utility room and rebuild a 2 storey extension in its place.

We currently do not have side access and the width of the extension will be garage width. Anything less than this will not be viable.

Our concerns are twofold.

1) Are we subject to the party wall legislation?

2) Are we likely to be granted planning to build to our boundary, bearing in mind we already have a structure there?

It all seems very complicated to me. We may look at going to an architect and surveyor if need be, but would like to avoid additional costs, if we can do it ourselves!

I would much appreciate any advice or comments.

Kind regards
Kate

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice Needed on Building 2 Storey Extension up to Boundary Wall

by welsh brickie » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:14 pm

you will need planning consent, and to do this you will need to submit plans, so I advise you to consult with an architect first.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1