Advice Needed on Coombed Ceiling Insulation in 1845 Property
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hellcat1uk
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Needed on Coombed Ceiling Insulation in 1845 Property

by Hellcat1uk » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi,
I'm new to all this but hope someone can advise me.

I live in a stone house built in 1845 and the roof is slate on sarking boards only (Scotland). Its a 3 storey house with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom in the roof with a tiny loft. I was planning on topping up my loft insulation as it is only laid between the joists and noticed that the rock wool has been pushed down between the rafters presumably to insulate the sloped ceilings below. There is no visible gap between the sarking and the insulation. A local builder said that it should be removed and replaced with one of the new insulating board products (the expensive ones)

Is the rock wool likely to cause a problem as there is no air circulation?
Do I need to remove it?
If so , how do I insulate without taking the inside walls down?

Any advice gratefully received

Bauwer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Advice Needed on Coombed Ceiling Insulation in 1845 Property

by Bauwer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:39 am

Hellcat1uk wrote:Hi,
I'm new to all this but hope someone can advise me.

I live in a stone house built in 1845 and the roof is slate on sarking boards only (Scotland). Its a 3 storey house with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom in the roof with a tiny loft. I was planning on topping up my loft insulation as it is only laid between the joists and noticed that the rock wool has been pushed down between the rafters presumably to insulate the sloped ceilings below. There is no visible gap between the sarking and the insulation. A local builder said that it should be removed and replaced with one of the new insulating board products (the expensive ones)

Is the rock wool likely to cause a problem as there is no air circulation?
Do I need to remove it?
If so , how do I insulate without taking the inside walls down?

Any advice gratefully received

Hi Mate,
modern insulation materials, like EPS boards are not very good insulation option for the older permeable buildings, as those impermeable materials could trap moisture and lead to damp and condensation issues.
Nothing wrong with permeable rock wool insulation in older buildings in my view

Regards, Alexander

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 pm