Advice Needed on Making a 5m Wide Driveway Double Gate
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
brendanxx
Apprentice
Apprentice

Advice Needed on Making a 5m Wide Driveway Double Gate

by brendanxx » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi,
My old driveway gate has rotted away and I have two strong posts remaining . The gap to be gated (between these posts) is 5m. I can in no way afford to get the gates made professionally so have to have a go myself. It's going to be heavy because (a) each gate will be 2 1/2 m long and approx 1 1/2 m high. When I mentioned this project to a quite experienced DIY friend he spent some time telling me how difficult it would be and now avoids the subject.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a useful video or article on this or give me any advice (other than, it's to wide, too heavy, get a professional)?
I have few tools so I'm going to have to buy some - a router for the mortice and tenon to start with - any other advice here would be most welcome.
Much obliged
Brendan

thedoctor

Re: Advice Needed on Making a 5m Wide Driveway Double Gate

by thedoctor » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi

Yes indeed - building a gate of this size could be quite a tricky job to get it absolutely right from both aesthetic and construction points - getting the joints exact, ensuring its square and rigid etc….

Although we don’t have a specific video on constructing a gate of this nature we do have the following video that may be of some use to you in terms of the principles of constructing a gate that you may be able to use to come up with your own design?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RtJ0fb9uc

Hope this helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:36 am