Advice needed on quote
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

tonyade
Apprentice
Apprentice

Advice needed on quote

by tonyade » Thu May 29, 2008 11:36 am

Hello guys. Just had a quote for a new Worcester Bosch combi boiler and some pipe work. Now, I know it's hard for you to comment without seeing the jobs yourselves, but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether these figures are a bit over the top, or standard for this type of job. (Should also mention that the plumbers are Corgi registered too).

1. Supply and install Worcester Bosch combi boiler (14 litres a minute model. 30 tsi, I think. They'll have to remove immersion): £1,720

2. Install power flush (they are quite insistent that we get this, pipes are quite old): £500

3. Repair leak on cold water stopcock: £100

4. Replace waste pie (it's quite old): £280

5. Four new rad valves (I'm a complete novice, so would probably muck this up if I did it myself): £40 per rad.

I should mention that I live in a small block of flats (ex-local authority) and that I currently have an old boiler that is not long for this world.

Thanks in advance!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac-the-Wrench
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Mac-the-Wrench » Thu May 29, 2008 2:04 pm

Are you supplying the parts and materials, or are they?

Or is this just the labour costs?

tonyade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tonyade » Thu May 29, 2008 2:14 pm

They are supplying parts and materials, thankfully.

tonyade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tonyade » Thu May 29, 2008 2:26 pm

It's parts and materials, thankfully.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu May 29, 2008 2:30 pm

1. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

2. Powerflush can do more damage than it cures if the system is that old. Danger of the muck it flushes out is actually blocking up potential leaks which are no longer blocked after flushing.

3. Seems far too high a figure if done coincidentally with the other work.

4. Which waste pipe and how much of it?

5. Seems expensive as the system will be drained to do the boiler. Are they fitting TRVs?

Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu May 29, 2008 2:31 pm

Mac

Thought the OP said "supply and fit".

Cheers

tonyade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tonyade » Thu May 29, 2008 2:52 pm

[quote="Mac-the-Wrench"]Are you supplying the parts and materials, or are they?

Or is this just the labour costs?[/quote]

Parts, materials and labour.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu May 29, 2008 3:35 pm

These are the ones that look steep:

[b]Replace waste pipe(it's quite old): £280[/b]
What waste pipe ? it's quite old ? ok but is it doing it's job, no leaks. How long is the waste pipe.

[b]Repair leak on cold water stopcock: £100[/b]
Repair leak or replace stop tap ? what needs doing ? new pipework ? if it's just repairing a leak or a straight swap for a new stop tap - it's overpriced.

[b]Install power flush (they are quite insistent that we get this, pipes are quite old): £500 [/b]
pipes are quite old ? so ??? what problems have you had ? what have they done to establish a powerflush is required ? removed radiators ? is there much sludge ?

The boiler installation and the radiator valves seem competitively priced, as long as they're supplying the materials.

htg

tonyade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tonyade » Thu May 29, 2008 3:56 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]These are the ones that look steep:

[b]Replace waste pipe(it's quite old): £280[/b]
What waste pipe ? it's quite old ? ok but is it doing it's job, no leaks. How long is the waste pipe.

[b]Repair leak on cold water stopcock: £100[/b]
Repair leak or replace stop tap ? what needs doing ? new pipework ? if it's just repairing a leak or a straight swap for a new stop tap - it's overpriced.

[b]Install power flush (they are quite insistent that we get this, pipes are quite old): £500 [/b]
pipes are quite old ? so ??? what problems have you had ? what have they done to establish a powerflush is required ? removed radiators ? is there much sludge ?

The boiler installation and the radiator valves seem competitively priced, as long as they're supplying the materials.

htg[/quote]

a. Wastepipe has a big spigot (I think this is right) attached to it. Doesn't work with our new washing machine. Looks like the pipe is made from cheap, copper-like plastic. It's quite short. Not a lot of room for manoeuvre.

b. Think it's a question of first identifying where the leak is coming from, then probably replacing pipework and stop tap. Would involve switching off other flats' cold water supply, of course.

c. Radiators were awful when we first moved in (four weeks ago). Needed bleeding.

Should point out that there are a couple of leaks coming from some dodgy valves that have been capped off.

Thanks for your help.

tonyade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tonyade » Thu May 29, 2008 4:57 pm

[quote="rosebery"]1. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

2. Powerflush can do more damage than it cures if the system is that old. Danger of the muck it flushes out is actually blocking up potential leaks which are no longer blocked after flushing.

3. Seems far too high a figure if done coincidentally with the other work.

4. Which waste pipe and how much of it?

5. Seems expensive as the system will be drained to do the boiler. Are they fitting TRVs?

Cheers[/quote]

Good point about the powerflush. Yes, TRVs. Waste pipe has spigoty thing fitted to it. Doesn't fir out new washing machine. Also, there are a couple of old valves on old pipes that don't go anywhere any more. They are capped but leaking, which is a pain.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:32 am

rosebery and htg engineer:

if a brand new boiler is being installed don't the manufacturers insist on a power flush in order validate the warranty? or is a normal flush through ok?

tonyade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tonyade » Fri May 30, 2008 1:31 pm

It could affect the warranty, yes.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri May 30, 2008 2:10 pm

The flush is required to remove any installation debris (flux, solder etc) that might be left over.

AFAIC this doesn't mean a power flush.

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri May 30, 2008 3:55 pm

Hot and cold flushes are requested by manufacturers, with inhibitors added - a system that has not been flushed or inhibitors have not been added - will not be repaired by the manufacturer under warranty.

Old pipework and radiators, should be flushed hot and cold - without new boiler connected, then flushed hot and cold after installation with boiler connected to remove flux etc.

Full new installation hot and cold flushes required on completion to remove flux and copper filings off cutting pipes etc.

Powerflushes - unnecessary in MOST cases - just a quick and easy moneymaker.

tonyade
Apprentice
Apprentice

by tonyade » Fri May 30, 2008 4:41 pm

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Stupid me has only just realised that these prices aren't including VAT, which makes this a whole different ball game. Wish the plumber would have made this clear from the start. Then again, it is my fault for not asking him.

He now says he can 'do it through his brother's company' - without the VAT... which sounds seriously dodgy. Don't think I'll go with these guys.

It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:39 am