Advice on DIY Repair of LPG Patio Heater
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Benchillian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Advice on DIY Repair of LPG Patio Heater

by Benchillian » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:51 pm

My propane patio heater won't work, but I can't find anyone to repair it. I've searched the Gas Safe Register for people qualified for LPG and Leisure, but none in my area will do that work.

I've seen You-tube videos on how to repair them. Is it advisable to try a DIY repair?

The problem is that the heater won't light.

I've just replaced the cylinder. There appears to be no gas reaching the pilot. (Tried lighting with naked flame - no joy.) No smell of gas, either. Also the igniter now seems to have stopped working. Changed batteries and tested them to ensure full voltage - OK. But no spark any more, though it was there on my first umpteen attempts to light it.

The heater is a 'Goliath' - 7ft tall with dancing flames in a glass tube. It's two years old, and runs on Flogas.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Benchillian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Advice on DIY Repair of LPG Patio Heater

by Benchillian » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:59 pm

Well, didn't get any responses, so here's what I did, in case anyone's interested!

Dismantled heater to reveal the burner assembly. No soot or dirt apparent.

Disconnected the the pilot pipe from the gas valve and released from the pilot tube.

Immersed the pilot nozzle in a bowl of water and blew through the other end of the pipe. Result: no bubbles.

Poked tip of a needle into hole in nozzle. Did water test again. Result: bubbles.

Conclusion: gas wasn't getting through because the nozzle was blocked - by what must have been a minute speck of dirt or soot.

Next, igniter problem.

Rechecked battery voltage and correct insertion. Result: OK.

Disconnected cable from igniter and tested continuity to electrode. Result: OK.

Placed thumb over contact at back of igniter where cable fits, pressed button. Result: felt nothing.

Conclusion: faulty igniter.

Replaced igniter with new one. Tried again. Result: good spark at electrode.

Reconnected pilot pipe. Connected gas cylinder and turned regulator valve on. Checked for leaks at all connections using washing-up liquid and water. No leaks.

Tried lighting pilot. After holding for thirty seconds, pressed igniter. Pilot 'popped' several times, but didn't light. Continued to hold for another thirty secs or so. Pressed igniter. Pilot lit and stayed lit.

Conclusion: air needed purging.

Reassembled heater. Lit pilot as before. Turned up gas. Heater working properly.

Result: wife happy.

Still had to make my own tea, though. I thank you.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:10 pm